Well, it appears that summer has finally arrived and to celebrate, last night we had a fish taco cook off! That is one of my all time favorite meals, especially when the weather is warm! Today, I was able to whip up a great lunch using the leftovers and I discovered another new favorite. Taco salad, is hands down one of the best meals I think. It’s really easy, hearty, delicious and pretty healthy! Ty always loves it too which is awesome. I have never tried it with fish though and I have to say, its even better! I loved making it because I already had all of the leftover chopped sides from last night so it was a matter of washing/drying some lettuce and chopping some tomatoes and 3 minutes later it was done! Here is the recipe and you can vary the ingredients to your liking!
Fish Taco Salad
- Cold leftover grilled fish (we used Tilapia) – You can also sub grilled chicken, steak or ground beef/turkey
- Handful of chopped lettuce
- Cooked black beans with garlic and cilantro stems
- Chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 chopped avocado
- Chopped cilantro (how ever much you like!)
- Chopped up purple cabbage tossed with a tiny bit of olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper (handful)
- Toss with equal parts salsa and sour cream
- Top with broken tortilla chips and hot sauce if you like spicy (which I DO!)
- Squeeze of lime
Now, this isn’t the most appetizing photo but I was trying to eat quick to get back to work (or writing a blog post before I got back to work) so styling my lunch wasn’t top on the list. You can make this really pretty if you have time to spare, trust me!
I enjoyed mine with a tall glass of sun tea on my deck that I made yesterday while working from home. I have to keep this up – awesome things are happening around lunch time in the kitchen. Here’s to starting summer off with a bang!